I have a hard time finding dinner meals that all three of my boys will eat. To be honest, all three of them have very different tastes. However, tonight, I was successful! YAY!
I found a recipe for empanadas on Pinterest. The few times I have had empanadas, I really enjoyed them, so I thought I would give them a try with and see what the boys thought. Surprisingly, they were a success, or at least what counts as a success in our house, which is that everyone ate at least one of them.
2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 TBSP coarse salt
1/2 C cold unsalted, cubed
3/4 C ice water
4 ounces cream cheese
1 lb or cooked chicken, (cubed or shredded)
¼ cup sour cream
1 cup shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup corn
salt & pepper to taste
1 beaten egg
1 TBSP milk
1. Pre heat the over to 400 degrees. Using a food processor pulse together flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Add the cubed butter to the food processor and mix until the mixture is a coarse meal with a few pea sized pieces.
3. Add ½ cup ice water to food processor until dough is crumbly, but holds together when squeezed.
4. Put dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until dough comes together.
5. Divide into 2 equal parts, flatten them into disks and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate while you make the fillng.
6. Melt cream cheese in microwave for about 30-45 seconds.
7. Add the chicken to a large bowl with the cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and corn. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
8. Line baking pans with parchment paper.
9. On a lightly floured surface roll out one part of the dough until about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out 4 inch circles. I used a bowl to do this.
10. Place 1-2 TSBP of chicken onto each circle.
11. Fold the edges over and seal with a little bit of water. Then use a fork to press down the edges.
12. Brush each half circle with the egg wash (beaten egg & milk).
13. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until they are golden brown.
What have you put inside of empanadas?